The Town of Emerald Isle has 12 wheelchairs designed to be pushed on the beach strand. They are available at the Emerald Isle Fire Department Station One, 7516 Emerald Drive, with the following conditions:
- They are first-come, first-serve and we do not take reservations.
- They can be obtained by picking them up at Fire Station One after 8 a.m. each day.
- They are loaned out on a daily basis and must be returned by 7 p.m. each evening.
- They have a 350-pound weight limit.
- When the wheelchairs are checked out, a form will be filled out with several pieces of information: the name of the individual using the wheelchair, hometown and state, driver's license state and number, vehicle license tag, address of local accommodations and cell phone number.
- They are free of charge; however, we do accept donations to maintain the chairs and purchase new ones as needed.
If you have any questions you may call Fire Station One at 252-354-2445.
There are three primary ADA-compliant beach accesses maintained by the Town: