PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
September 18, 2020
EMERALD ISLE, NC- Election Campaign Sign Season Underway
In an effort to assist local property owners and candidates, the Town of Emerald Isle Planning Department wishes to share the following Public Service Announcement.
The Town of Emerald Isle regulates political signage placement within the Town limits. The following regulations should be adhered to when placing signage for candidates within the Town of Emerald Isle:
(H) Temporary political signs advertising candidates or issues subject to the following conditions:
1. Signs may be placed within the NC 58 right-of-way and within the right-of-way of all Town streets, but permission of the adjacent private property owner is required.
2. Signs must be placed at least three (3) feet from the edge of the street pavement, and shall not be more than forty-two (42) inches higher than the asphalt roadway surface.
3. Signs shall not be displayed earlier than thirty (30) days prior to the start of "one-stop" voting and shall be removed no more than ten (10) days after the election.
4. Signs shall not obstruct a driver's sight distance at an intersection or create an unsafe condition for motorists, pedestrians, or bicyclists.
5. Signs shall not be larger than six (6) square feet.
6. Signs shall not obscure or replace other signs.
7. No banners are permitted.
8. No campaign signs are permitted on or in front of Town-owned property, with the exception of Election Day and only in accordance with the guidelines established by the Town.
9. There is no limit on the number of campaign signs, provided that all other regulations are followed.
For information related to NCDOT controlled roadways, please visit the following link:
If you have additional local questions, please contact the EI Planning Department at 252-354-3424 or visit www.emeraldisle-nc.org.