January 9, 2018
MEMO TO: Mayor Barber and Board of Commissioners
FROM: Frank A. Rush, Jr., Town Manager
SUBJECT: Appointments – Dog Park Development Committee - (Summary & Suggested Motions)
The Board of Commissioners is scheduled to appoint 7 individuals to the newly created Dog Park Development Committee at the January 9 meeting.
The Board established this committee at its November 2017 meeting and directed Town staff to solicit applicants to serve on the new committee. The Town solicited applications via the Town’s website, in the Town’s email newsletter, and in the Island Review magazine in December, and received strong interest. Following initial, brief emails indicating the individual’s interest, a brief follow-up questionnaire was emailed to all individuals who expressed interest in serving. A total of 16 individuals returned the email questionnaire, and these submissions have been provided to the Board under separate cover.
Based on previous discussions, I envision that the new committee will be tasked with the following activities:
- generate community support and advocate for the future construction of a dog park in Emerald Isle,
- coordinate fundraising activities aimed at generating 50% of the construction cost, with the Town contributing the remaining 50% (similar to the model used for other Town projects in recent years),
- review potential dog park locations in Emerald Isle, and determine the most cost-effective location,
- assist in the design of the new dog park, including type of fencing, layout, features, etc., and
- any other associated activities.
Because the new committee is established with a very specific and finite goal – to develop a dog park in Emerald Isle - I would envision the terms of the individuals appointed being open-ended. Essentially, the committee would continue to function until such time that the goal is achieved, and would be disbanded at that time. Once appointed, the committee members can determine the most appropriate meeting schedule, elect a chairperson, and develop by-laws. I would anticipate that the initial meeting of the new committee would not occur until February or March due to other commitments in January and February. I envision Alesia Sanderson, Parks and Recreation Director, and myself providing staff support to the new Dog Park Development Committee, and we look forward to working with the group.
The Board has wide latitude to determine the specific appointment method used for this committee. I believe there are three options available to the Board to make appointments to the committee:
- The Board could utilize the attached ballot, with 16 individuals listed, and each Commissioner would “vote” for 7 individuals. The Mayor and Town Clerk would review the written ballots, and determine the 7 individuals who received the most “votes”. If there is a tie for the 7th appointment, a Commissioner would simply make a motion to appoint _________________ to the 7th appointment.
- Each elected official, including the Mayor, could simply appoint one individual to the new committee, with either the Mayor or Mayor Pro-Tem having a second appointment to result in a total of 7 committee members.
- The Board could simply make individual nominations at the January 9 meeting, and appoint the committee members one at a time.
I look forward to the Board’s appointment of the committee, and look forward to the eventual creation of a dog park in Emerald Isle.