Written by Lt. Jeff Waters, Emerald Isle Police Department
I would like to announce that the Emerald Isle Police Department will be starting some new programs in the upcoming year. We are pleased to introduce these programs as part of our effort to form partnerships with the citizens of Emerald Isle and are eager to work together towards the goal of a safer and crime free community. Some of the programs for the upcoming year will be:
Volunteers In Police Service: This program is designed to incorporate the use of civilian volunteers to aid Police and Town personnel. The use of civilians in certain functions will provide a valuable support asset to the Department by taking on certain duties that will not require the expertise or knowledge of a law enforcement officer. Some of these duties include but are not limited to:
- Assisting with special events
- Assisting with traffic control
- Manning police information booths, etc. at parades and festivals.
- Assisting visitors and residents with informational needs at the east and west beach accesses during the summer months.
- Foot patrols in the business district and Emerald Plantation.
- Assisting with Community and neighborhood watch programs.
- Assisting Town personnel with duties before, during and after natural disasters or states of emergency. The goal of this program is that through the use of civilians in these areas we will allow sworn officers to spend more time on the road patrolling, answering calls for service and performing enforcement actions.
- Child Abduction Prevention and Education: This is new program that we are starting this year in conjunction with the purchase of the Child ID System. This new system will allow the department to educate children and parents in the community on child safety and abduction prevention techniques. It will also provide a valuable service to the community by providing Child ID cards and Amber Alert Discs to every participant in the event that a child becomes missing.
Some other programs that we will be working towards this year will be D.A.R.E., Community Watch Coordination, S.A.F.E Kids, EIPD Kids Night Out, Business Crime Prevention, Crimes Against the Elderly, Bicycle Safety, Community Drug Education, Leadership College for Teens, and the Ropes Course.
Anyone with questions or interests in any of these programs should contact Lt. Jeff Waters of the Emerald Isle Police Department at 252-354-2021. I welcome the opportunity to speak to community organizations on any of the above topics.
Saturday, April 1, 2006 3:50:00 PM