Emerald Isle will be 50 in 2007
Plans are beginning to take shape for celebrating Emerald Isle’s 50th birthday in 2007. Alesia Sanderson and her crew in the Parks and Recreation Department have been brainstorming some ideas and I want to give you a preview.
The actual date of incorporation is July 1, 1957, but our celebration will be events throughout the year. With July being the busiest time of the year, we figured that wouldn’t be the best time to have a birthday party, and also that turning 50 deserved more than one celebration. Therefore, there will be many events and the best way to stay informed is to signup for the Town’s email list at www.emeraldisle-nc.org . As events and dates are finalized, they will be posted to the web site and distributed to the email list.
Events that are in the planning stages are:
- January - Clambake at the Western Ocean Regional Access or at Community Center if weather does not cooperate
- February – 50’s Sock Hop at Community center with DJ playing 50’s music and prizes for best dressed
- March – 50’s Wooden racquet tennis tournament
- April – Dinner and a movie with local celebrity chef Alicia Baucom to prepare dinner and show a 1957 movie at the Community center
- May – Drive-in movie at the Eastern Ocean Regional Access
- June – Drive-in Diner at the Community Center – Contract with a vendor to sell hamburgers and shakes with servers on roller skates and youth pier fishing tournament.
- July – Family fun beach day at the Western Ocean Regional Access followed by a larger than normal band for “Beach Jive After Five”. Have traditional games like 3 legged races, hula-hoop contest, etc.
- August – Photography Contest “What Emerald Isle is to YOU”. Display photos at the Community Center.
We are also planning on a concert and are checking on availability and cost. Other items being considered are beach volleyball tournament, vintage equipment surf contest, antique car show, Shriner’s Fish Fry, etc.
There also will be several opportunities to learn about Emerald Isle history from those that have been around the longest. Probably in the form of round-table discussions and/or presentations. From time to time I ask for people to send me interesting stories from the past. I have several interesting stories that have been sent to me by residents, second home owners, and visitors. Now is a good time to send more. I know there are a lot of fond memories out there and now is a good time to share them. You can send them by email to email@example.com or by US mail to my attention at 7500 Emerald Drive, Emerald Isle, NC 28594.
I hope this is turning out to be an enjoyable holiday season for all of you. It has been a very good year for Emerald Isle, and we look forward to next year being even better. Stay tuned for an exciting year.