What medical providers are located in and around Emerald Isle?

If you have a medical emergency please call 911 immediately!

For all of your non-emergency medical needs there are several medical providers located in our area as noted below:

  • MedFirst Immediate Care and Family Practice
    Veranda Square, 7901 Emerald Drive
    Suite 7
    Emerald Isle, NC 28594

  • Carolina East Internal Medicine
    906 WB McLean Blvd.
    Cape Carteret, NC 28594
  • Carteret Heart and Vascular
    8914A Reed Dr.
    Emerald Isle, NC 28594

  • Crystal Coast Family Practice
    540 Cedar Point Blvd.
    Cedar Point, NC 28584
  • Sound Medical Family Practice
    300 Taylor Notion Road
    Cape Carteret NC 28594
  • Western Carteret Medical Center
    718 Cedar Point Blvd.
    Cedar Point, NC 28584

Also, below is the nearest hospital to Emerald Isle:

  • Carteret Health Care
    3500 Arendell Street
    Morehead City, NC 28557
    (252) 499-6000

What is the phone number for the Emerald Isle Post Office?


What is the phone number for the Emerald Isle Welcome Center?


Who are the local utility companies, and how can they be contacted? 

Utility Company Contact Info


Bogue Banks Water Corporation



Carteret-Craven Electric Cooperative



Telephone (local service)

Century Link (formerly Embarq)



Spectrum (formerly Time Warner)



View Carteret-Craven Electric Cooperative's Outage Viewer here.


18 inch satellite dishes are allowed in the Town.

Where can I find garbage and recycling information?

Find garbage and recycling information, such as pickup times, types of trash picked upcontainer regulations,  types of recycling picked up, how to dispose of appliances and yard debris on the garbage and recycling page found at: http://emeraldisle-nc.com/garbage-recycling

Where are the Parks and Beach Access Locations in Emerald Isle?

The Town of Emerald Isle has several parks and water access locations for our citizens and visitors. Click here for locations and information.

Please note: Beach wheelchairs for physically challenged individuals are available for check out on a first come, first served basis from Emerald Isle Fire Station #1, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., 7 days a week.  Reservations are not accepted; chairs are to be obtained in person.  For more information, contact the Fire Department 252-354-2445.

Where can I register to vote?

Voter registration forms are available at the Town Hall, as well as in Beaufort.

Carteret County Board of Elections
1702 Live Oak St, Suite 200
Beaufort, NC  28516
Hours:  8 a.m. through 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
Phone: 252-728-8460

Visit their website: www.carteretcountyboe.org

Who should I call about military operations at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune that involve bombing, vibration, noise?

Please visit the following Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune website for advisories and contact information regarding concerns with military operations that involve bombing, vibration, and noise in Emerald Isle.  hwww.lejeune.marines.mil/News/NoiseAdvisories.aspx. You may also call their dedicated noise abatement hotline at 910-451-9079.

What are the regulations regarding pets?

No animal shall be permitted to run at large (off the premises of owner, and not restrained by leash or lead) within the town limits - please note, our leash law also applies in the water and surf zone. All animals caught running at large shall be impounded by the police and unless claimed within four (4) days shall be disposed of as the town shall deem best.

No owner, keeper, or person in charge of the possession and/or control of any dog shall cause or allow the dog to defecate or otherwise commit any nuisance on any street, sidewalk, park, beach strand, public right-of-way, or other publicly owned area, or upon any private property without permission of the owner or occupant of the property, unless the excrement is immediately removed by said owner, keeper, or person in charge of the dog and deposited in an appropriate waste container. 
Any owner, keeper, or person in charge of the possession and/or control of any dog who shall violate any provision of this chapter shall be required to pay a fifty dollar ($50.00) civil fine in accordance with Section 1-6 of the Town Code of Emerald Isle.

What can I do about free-roaming or feral cats on my property?

Cats with a tipped ear belong to a fellow property owner, so please check with your neighbors before trying to remove the animal.

Property owners may consider contacting a not-for-profit organization in our area, such as Island Cat Allies, Inc You can find information about them here: www.islandcatallies.com/. This volunteer organization offers assistance with a Trap-Neuter-Return/vaccination program for those willing to provide food and water to the animals. 

If you have found a stray cat, and are able to transport it, you may consider the Carteret County Humane Society: https://www.cchsshelter.com/ or call 252-247-7744.

If you have found a feral cat, and are unable to transport the cat, you may consider Carteret County Animal Control for assistance in removing the animal: Call 252-728-8585 or visit: https://www.carteretcountync.gov/131/Animal-Control-Services

Please note: Loose dogs and cats are apprehended and delivered to the Carteret County Animal Shelter, located on Hibbs Road in Newport for reclamation by its owner, adoption, or euthanization. The Carteret County Animal Shelter is operated by the Carteret County Humane Society, under contract with the county.

What can I do about the wild animals that are a nuisance in my neighborhood?

Wild animals abound on most barrier islands, and Emerald Isle is no exception. The Town is home to raccoons, opossums, foxes, squirrels, deer and an occasional bear and alligator. We do not have an animal control officer. 

Click here for a listing of authorized Wildlife Damage Control Agents for Carteret County.

Property owners can also visit the NC Wildlife Resources Commission website at www.ncwildlife.org/Trapping/WildlifeDamageControlAgent.aspx for information about wild animals.  

What can I do about nutria removal?

The Town does not provide any nutria removal services, however, the NC Wildlife Resources Commission recommends the use of authorized Wildlife Damage Control Agents as described here: http://www.ncwildlife.org/Trapping/WildlifeDamageControlAgent.aspx 

Click here for a listing of authorized Wildlife Damage Control Agents for Carteret County.

Pricing varies for the trapping and removal of nutria, and can range from $150 - $300, depending on the severity of the problem.

Property owners can also visit the NC Wildlife Resources website for more information: www.ncwildlife.org/Trapping/WildlifeDamageControlAgent.aspx

Where do I get Town Vehicle License Tags?

The Town license tag for the front of vehicles is optional. If you'd like to have one, they are available at Town Hall for $10.00 each. Please note, Town Hall is current closed to the public, due to Covid-19 safety measures.

Are individuals or businesses without a physical business location allowed to sell their merchandise anywhere in Town?

The Town of Emerald Isle has stringent regulations on these activities. "Itinerant merchants" (such as street vendors or mobile vendors) are not allowed at all in the Town of Emerald Isle on any public streets, beaches, or other areas. We do allow what we call "satellite merchants" (such as street vendors or mobile vendors) to set up at a limited number of private business locations. Satellite merchants are only allowed on the private property of an ocean fishing pier, hotel, motel, campground, recreational vehicle park, or condominium complex having frontage on the Atlantic Ocean in Emerald Isle, and must be located completely on the private property - they are not allowed on the beach strand. Permission from the private property owner is required, and you must also register with the Town (there is no fee). The eligible private properties in Emerald Isle where 'satellite merchants' may be allowed with the required permission granted by the private property owner and the Town are as follows: Holiday TravLPark, The Islander Hotel and Resort, Boardwalk RV Park, Beachfront RV Park, Camp Ocean Forest, Bogue Inlet Pier, and oceanfront condominium complexes. Please call 252-354-3424 with questions."

What about Hurricanes, Evacuation and Re-Entry?

We do, occasionally, have a hurricane threaten our community. We sometimes have to evacuate the island during these storm events. There is not a community evacuation shelter in Emerald Isle but there is a County shelter located in Newport, approximately 15 miles east of the bridge to Emerald Isle.

The island is closed to the public immediately after a storm for which a public evacuation was ordered. Once an assessment is made that the roads can be safely traveled, the Town is re-opened.  If damage is minimal, the Town will be re-opened to everyone at the same time. If damage is more significant, the Town may initially only be re-opened to residents and property owners. Disaster Re-Entry Permits are required if the Town has re-opened the bridge to residents and property owners only.  Disaster Re-Entry Permits are permanent permits, and have previously been issued free of charge to all property owners. Additional and/or replacement permits can be obtained from Town Hall for a fee. Permits are not issued within 24 hours of projected landfall. You should get your permit prior to hurricane season. When you get your permit, put it in the glove compartment of your car.

The best source for Emerald Isle specific information during a weather emergency is on the home page of this site. Hurricane information is updated on this site. As long as telephone service is operational, this site will be operating and frequently updated with the latest conditions and announcements. Periodic updates are also emailed to subscribers to the Town's email newsletter.

What are the regulations about riding horses on the beach?

The permitted time periods for horses on the beach are as follows:

Horses are allowed on the beach from September 15 to April 30 with the exception of the 10-day period from and including the Friday prior to Easter until and including the Sunday that occurs 7 days after Easter. For 2021, horses will not be allowed on the beach from April 2 - April 11.

Horses are allowed from 5 a.m. until 9 p.m. daily from September 15 to November 3, and from March 8 to April 30 (to coincide with daylight savings time).  Daily driving hours are 5 a.m. until 7 p.m. from November 4 to March 7 (to coincide with Eastern standard time).

Horses are prohibited on dunes.  It shall be unlawful for a horse, mule, donkey, or other members of the equidae or equus asinus families to traverse the barrier dune system, single sand dunes, dune ridges, dune systems, and any parts thereof, both old and new, including the vegetative cover relating to such dunes, with the exception of the use of designated access locations.

Horses, mules, donkeys, or other members of the equidae or equus asinus families shall access the beach areas only at the following locations:

(1)   Vehicle access point at the south terminus of Black Skimmer Drive.

(2)   Vehicle access point at the ninety-degree turn in Ocean Drive near the Eastern Ocean Regional Access near NC 58 mile marker 15.

(3)  Vehicle access at The Point (at the terminus of Inlet Drive at Bogue Inlet).

Horses not permitted on town street right-of-ways, except for temporary use.  Horses, mules, donkeys, or other members of the equidae or equus asinus families are not permitted on town street right-of-ways. Temporary use of street right-of-ways to travel from the nearest public parking area or a private residence to the nearest authorized access location is permitted, provided such use is of limited duration and strictly to travel to the access location.

Mandatory removal of feces: It shall be unlawful for the rider of a horse, mule, donkey, or other member of the equidae or equus asinus families to allow said animal to deposit feces on the beach areas, town street right-of-ways, or another person's private property without immediately removing all feces deposited by such animal. Burying feces in the sand or depositing feces in the ocean is prohibited and constitutes a violation of this section.

Responsible riding required: The rider of a horse, mule, donkey, or other member of the equidae or equus asinus families shall be of a suitable age and discretion, and shall ride in a manner so as not to cause a danger to other persons or vehicular traffic. The horse, mule, donkey, or other member of the equidae or equus asinus families shall be thoroughly trained and properly restrained, and ridden with due care, and shall not be allowed to go unattended.

Penalty.  Violation of any of the provisions of this section shall subject the offender to a civil fine of one-hundred dollars ($100.00).

When are vehicles allowed on the beach?


Read Beach Driving Regulations 2020-21 Season.

View View Beach Driving Map

View Important Beach Driving Message!

Permits available August 1st (online) and September 1st (in-person)

Due to the impact of COVID-19 and the upcoming Phase III Beach Nourishment project, considerable thought has been given to the issuance of Beach Driving permits for 2020-2021. 

August 1-31, 2020:  Beach Driving Permits go on sale effective August 1, 2020. To help reduce foot traffic to the Emerald Isle Police Department, Beach Driving Permits will be available for online purchase only for the first 30 days.          

September 1, 2020: Beach Driving Permits will be available for online and/or in-person purchase at the EIPD office. For everyone’s safety, no more than 2 customers at a time are permitted inside the EIPD waiting area.

A beach driving permit may be purchased online by visiting www.emeraldisle-nc.org/beach-driving or at the Emerald Isle Police Department, at 7500 Emerald Drive, from 9 a.m. until 8 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, and from 9 a.m. until 10 p.m. Friday-Saturday.

Beach Nourishment Closures:  

For safety reasons, certain sections of Emerald Isle beaches must be closed during the 2020-2021 Beach Driving season. Closures are unavoidable, due to the construction of the nearly $32M Phase III Beach Nourishment project.

  • Beach nourishment can only occur between November 16, 2020 and April 30, 2021.
  • The Town of Emerald Isle anticipates smaller/ defined sections of the beach to close, while those areas area being nourished.
  • Phase II Nourishment areas include the following sections of the Emerald Isle beach:
    • Between the Point and Lands’ End
    • Sea Dunes toward the Dog Leg
    • The far east end of Emerald Isle
  • Click here to watch an example of Beach nourishment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut6ANyUkVQk

Authorized beach access ramps are located at the Ocean Drive “dog-leg” (near mile marker 15 on NC 58), at the end of Black Skimmer Drive (across from Police Department), and at The Point (at the terminus of Inlet Drive at Bogue Inlet). Driving on primary dunes, as well as other vegetated areas, remains strictly prohibited. 

Beach Driving Period: The period for Beach Driving is scheduled to occur from September 15 to April 30, with the exception of the 10-day period near Easter.  This period includes the Friday prior to Easter, until and including, the Sunday that occurs 7 days after Easter.  For 2021, beach driving will not be allowed at all from April 2 – April 11, 2021.

Highly Important Disclaimer:  By purchasing a 2020-2021 beach driving permit, permit holders understand that there will be no refunds or discounts provided due to beach closures of any kind. Closures may be caused by nourishment activities, beach conditions, and/or other unavoidable events.

For more information, contact the Emerald Isle Police Department at 252-354-2021.

Annual beach driving permit fees are $50 for all Emerald Isle residents and taxpayers under 65 years of age, and free for all Emerald Isle residents and taxpayers age 65 years of age or older.

The fee for all Non-Emerald Isle residents and taxpayers of any age is $100.00.

Handicapped persons of any age (whether they are Emerald Isle residents / taxpayers or not) are eligible for one free permit. Handicapped persons in addition to providing copies of vehicle registration and drivers license must also provide a copy of their handicap placard and DMV registration card. The four-wheel drive vehicle which is to be permitted must be registered to the handicapped person.

Are alcoholic beverages permitted on the beach?

Assuming the person is of age and not intoxicated, beer and wine are allowed on the beach strand. Liquor drinks are not allowed on the beach strand according to NC State law. Glass containers are permitted but please obey our litter ordinances and dispose of your trash appropriately.

How should I build a sand fence?

Please visit the website of the North Carolina Division of Coastal Management for the most current state guidelines regarding the installation of sand fences.

What about the use of the Town's public parks and accesses?

The Town's public parks and accesses are for use by the general public and are used on a first-come, first-served basis. You may not reserve our parks and accesses for any type of use. Wedding tents are not allowed at any of the public parks or accesses and overnight parking is not permitted. There is a $10 fee charged for parking at our Eastern Ocean Regional Access and our Western Ocean Regional Access on weekends and holidays from April through September between the hours of 7 a.m. and 4 p.m.

What if I want a wedding on the beach?

Please visit the Crystal Coast Tourism Association website  for helpful information concerning locations, marriage licenses, catering, florists, rentals, photographers, ministers, planners, receptions and entertainment! Emerald Isle does not require permits for a beach wedding. The Town does ask that chairs and other accessories be assembled so as not to obstruct the public or vehicles on the beach. Wedding tents are not allowed at any of the public parks or accesses and overnight parking is not permitted. Smaller tents may be used on the beach strand itself but may not be left unattended past 7 p.m. You will also want to keep in mind when you are planning your beach wedding that vehicles are allowed on the beach from September 15 through April 30. Emergency vehicles must have full access in the event of emergency situations.  For questions about parking or park hours please call our Police Department at 252-354-2021.

What type of transportation is available?

Please visit the Crystal Coast Tourism Association website  for helpful information about a variety of available types of transportation.

What are the regulations about driving golf carts in Emerald Isle?

Effective January 1, 2011, the Town of Emerald Isle will begin permitting golf carts that are registered with the Town and that meet certain safety equipment requirements to be operated on all public streets in the Town, except for NC 58 (Emerald Drive) and Coast Guard Road. Click here to learn more about the program and golf cart requirements. Click here for information about registering your golf cart.

Where are golf cart parking spaces located?

Location Number of Spaces

Channel Dr Access

Ocean Oaks Access 9
Pinewood / Conch 2
Deer Horn Access 3
Fawn Access 2
Janell 3
Shore Rush access 3
Sea Gull NW 2
Eagles Nest Access 1
Lee Ave / Ocean Access 6
James St / Ocean SW 8
Ethel Access 1
Craig / Ocean SW 2
Craig / Ocean SE 1
Bluewater / Ocean SE 4
Nina/Azure 2
Pinta / Ocean Access 1
Whitewater / Ocean SE 2
Beachview across from Access 2
Clark Access 1
Cedar Tree Access 2
Fairfax Access 1
Carolyn across from access 3
Georgia Access 3
Hubert - Rhett Access 3
14th / Ocean Access 1
13th / Ocean Access 1
10th / Ocean Access 1

Total spaces as of May 25, 2020