Garbage & Recycling

When is trash/recycling picked up? 

Magnets with trash and recycling information are available in the Town Administration Building lobby. 

Residential trash is collected twice per week all year long by the Town's solid waste contractor Simmons & Simmons Management, Inc.

The schedule is as follows:

  • Mondays:  first ocean-side trash collection
  • Tuesdays:  first sound-side trash collection
  • Wednesdays:  entire Town recycling collection
  • Thursdays:  second sound-side trash collection
  • Fridays:  second ocean-side trash collection.

Ocean-side includes all locations on the south side of NC 58 and Coast Guard Road, and The Point area.  Sound-side includes all locations on the north side of NC 58 and Coast Guard Road.

Trash dumpsters at condominium complexes will continue to be emptied every Monday throughout the town, with additional collections scheduled for every Friday, only if necessary.

Recyclables are collected throughout the entire town each Wednesday.   (See What is Accepted)

Another feature of the Town's contract with Simmons & Simmons is that personnel also roll-BACK trash and recycling containers approximately 30 feet from the road after collection. The initial roll-OUT is still the responsibility of the resident, property owner, and/or vacation rental company.

Garbage and/or recyclable containers may be placed adjacent to the street no earlier than 12:00 p.m. the day before collection is scheduled and must be returned to an acceptable location by 9:00 a.m. on the day after collection.

Application for Handicapped Service - please call our office at 252-354-3424 for more information.

What type of trash will be picked up?

The regular trucks will pick up:

  • Household garbage and refuse
  • Broken furniture, mattresses, bedsprings
  • Beach chairs
  • Small lawn mowers (fluids must be drained)
  • Small counter-style appliances
  • Grills
  • Small household items
  • Empty paint cans or cans with a small amount of residual dry paint

Regular collection will not pick up:

  • Construction & Demolition (C&D) Materials – Examples include:  Lumber, boards, windows, cabinetry, siding, shingles, asbestos, doors, toilets, drywall, plaster, carpeting/padding, flooring, tile, concrete, bricks and pavers, landscape timbers, pallets, and similar items.
  • White goods/Large Appliances* – Examples include, Refrigerators, Stoves, Washers, Dryers, Dishwashers, Hot Water Heaters, and similar items.
  • Vegetative Debris/Yard Waste* – Examples include, leaves, small limbs and branches, grass clippings, vegetative clippings, and similar items.
  • Televisions & Monitors – Examples include, computers, monitors, televisions, and similar items.
  • Hazardous Materials** – Examples include, paint, chemicals, cleaners, oil and filters, fuel, and similar items.
  • *Please note:  The Town offers a once a month curbside pick-up for white goods.  Please call Town Hall at 252-354-3424 to schedule a pick up as described below.    The Town also offers weekly curbside vegetative debris/yard waste pick-up as described below.

    **Once a year the NC Cooperative Extension Service and the Coastal Environmental Partnership sponsor a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day in Carteret County. They accept: latex and oil paints, used motor oil, lawn and garden fertilizer and pesticides, farm pesticides, gasoline, drain openers, paint thinners, cooking oil, anti-freeze and batteries.  Learn more about the next scheduled collection at:

  • Carteret County offers several options for proper disposal of each of the other materials which may not be picked up curbside.  Please check Carteret County’s helpful website here -  or call 252 648-7878.  

    Carteret County offers several area convenience locations which have the following hours of operation:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday
7 AM – 6 PM
2 PM – 6 PM
1 PM – 6 PM

What are the specific regulations concerning garbage containers?

Refuse Containers

  • All residential units, regardless of type of residential use, will be required to provide “adequate containment” of all refuse and recyclables.

  • All residential units will be required to use standard 65-gallon or 90-gallon roll-out containers.  Those who are physically unable to use 65-gallon or 90-gallon containers can receive authorization to use standard 40-gallon containers for residential refuse.  A doctor’s note or handicapped parking card is required to receive authorization to use standard 40-gallon containers.  These individuals are urged to contact Town Hall for this special authorization.

  • All residential vacation rental units will be required to use one standard 90-gallon roll-out container per 3 bedrooms.

Recycling Containers

The Town has experienced a significant increase in the volume of recyclables collected over the past few years, and has experienced more instances of overflowing recyclables.

The Town discontinued the sale of the 18-gallon open recycling bins in late 2012, and all permanent residents and second home owners are now required to utilize a minimum of one 40-gallon (or larger) roll-out recycling container..  Vacation rental units are now required to utilize a minimum of one 90-gallon roll-out recycling container for each 3 bedrooms in the vacation rental unit.

90-gallon and 40-gallon roll out recycling containers, are available for sale at Sound ACE Hardware.

The Town now requires all permanent and second-home residential units to utilize at least one 40-gallon roll out recycling container, and requires all vacation rental units to utilize at least one 90-gallon container for each 3 bedrooms in the unit.

The Town does not sell the containers, they should be purchased at Sound ACE Hardware, located in the Emerald Plantation Shopping Center.

You may purchase your container at any store other than Sound ACE Hardware but the container must be compatible with the styles of container as pictured here in order to be compatible with the trucks

What type of recycling will be picked up?


Recyclables can be co-mingled in your recycling container. Items permitted are:



  • Newspaper
  • Brochures
  • Catalogues
  • Magazines
  • Junk Mail
  • White Paper
  • Phone Books
  • Colored Paper
  • Paper Bags
  • Computer Paper
  • Soft Covered Books
  • File Folders
  • Cereal Boxes
  • Cardboard Boxes
  • Orange Juice Cartons


  • napkins
  • tissues
  • paper plates

Please do not put anything in bags. Please keep clean and dry. Thank you.



  • #1 through #7 plastic containers (look on bottom to identify)


  • grocery
  • sandwich bags
  • 5 gallon buckets
  • Styrofoam
  • plastic grocery type bags



  • Clear, brown and green glass containers


  • ceramic or porcelain cups and plates
  • drinking glasses or stemware
  • heat resistant ovenware
  • light bulbs, mirrors or window panes



  • Aluminum and steel cans


  • pie pans
  • foil
  • cans that have contained hazardous waste (oil, insecticide, paint etc.)

You may also want to visit the Carteret County Solid Waste & Recycling webpage for more information at

Learn more about Wheels For Wishes.  Wheels For Wishes is a car donation program benefiting Make-A-Wish® Eastern North Carolina. The Wheels For Wishes Program is proud to offer an easy way to recycle or donate unwanted cars, trucks, motorcycles, SUVs, RVs, or even boats, by turning them into a wish for a local child.  Visit their website at

Cars To Cure Breast Cancer accepts donated vehicles and either recycles or auctions them off. Earned proceeds from the sale of the vehicle benefit The Breast Cancer Research Foundation. All donations help to fund breast cancer research so that we can one day see a cure for breast cancer.
Visit their website at


Solid waste racks will no longer be permitted in the Town’s right-of-way.  Solid waste racks will be permitted on private property, however racks and containers must be permanently stored at least 30 feet from the public right-of-way or behind the front or side wall of the structure.


How can I dispose of White Goods/Large Appliances?

Effective July 1, 2008 the Town will no longer charge a fee nor require a sticker for white goods pickup.  The Town will only require that you notify Town Hall to add your white goods collection point to our list for pickup.  The Town will then pick up these white goods items on the 2nd Friday of each month.  Please note that you can call in the white goods collection point by dialing 252-354-3424 or requests can also be made via email by contacting Rachael Kelly at You may also haul your own appliances to the county drop site which is located about 4.5 miles north on Hwy 58 from the bridge, then turn left on West Fire Tower Rd. You need to show identification that you are an Emerald Isle resident.

How can I dispose of Brush & Yard Debris?

The Town's yard waste collection service utilizes two automated brush trucks that are operated by Town employees.  The yard waste collection service is provided as follows:

Effective August 1, 2013 it is no longer necessary for residents and property owners to call the Town to be placed on a list for yard debris collection.  Town staff will now make a continuous pass through all streets in the Town. One truck operates in the area between Lee Ave. and the Eastern limits of town, and the other operates in the area between Lee Ave. and the Pointe. The Town's goal is to collect all yard debris within 7 days of placement at the edge of the street during the "off" season (Labor Day-Memorial Day) and within 14 days during the summers season (Memorial Day-Labor Day.)

The Town is pleased to offer these popular services to our residents and property owners.  Yard debris collection services are funded exclusively by the Town's annual solid waste fee, which also funds all residential trash, recycling, and beach strand collection.

The guidelines allow for maximum 6 feet long segments with a diameter no greater than 8 inches.  The automated brush truck is able to pick up the large yard waste items with no difficulty.

Please note that yard debris must be placed in neat, separate piles no larger than 10 feet long by 10 feet wide by 4 feet high at the curbside. Leaves and grass clippings should be bagged in paper, biodegradable bags. 

The Town's service is available for developed lots only.  The yard waste collection service is funded 100 percent by the Town’s annual solid waste fee, and this fee is paid by the owners of developed lots only.

The Town does not collect construction debris. This type of debris can be disposed of at the West Firetower Road site (off Highway 58) or the Newport Transfer Station on Hibbs Road (between US 70 and NC 24) in Newport.