How the Program Works
It is the Town of Emerald Isle’s goal to return residents, property owners, and business owners back to the Island as quickly and safely as possible after an evacuation. The Hurricane Re-Entry Permit Program is a tool that facilitates that goal by maximizing security while providing authorized persons the quickest possible access to their properties.
The cost for a re-entry permit is $25. To purchase new or additional permits please complete this form or call our office at 252-354-2021.
Please view our Re-Entry Permit Program Guide.
Please check to make sure you have your permanent permit on hand now (see sample). Please don't wait until the storm is approaching to secure a new or additional re-entry permit, as lines will be long and Town staff is also busy preparing the Town for potential hurricane impacts. Thanks for your cooperation!
NOAA -National Weather Service
Before the Hurricane
- Check for your re-entry permit.
- Create or replenish Disaster Supplies Kit.
- Gather supplies so your family can endure an evacuation or home confinement. The basic kit should include tools, emergency supplies and a first aid kit. Store these items in a large trash can with a lid, plastic storage containers or coolers. The containers should be easy to carry in the event of evacuation.
- See below a suggested check list for tools and emergency supplies. Make your own list!
When a Watch is Issued
- Monitor radio and TV broadcast for information regarding the storms progress.
- Service and fuel up automobiles.
- Refill prescriptions for your family and pets ensuring at least a 2-week supply.
- Clear yard and deck of all potential flying debris. Anchor materials which cannot be brought inside.
- Prepare to cover windows and doors.
- Check food and water supplies. Replenish as necessary.
- Get cash since ATM’s and banks may not be operating following the storm.
- Check generator and fuel supplies.
- Check additional tanks for gas grill.
- Buy ice.
When a Warning is Issued
- Monitor radio and TV broadcast for storm advisories and evacuation announcements.
- Close all windows.
- Turn off LP Gas at Tank.
- Cover all windows and doors with hurricane shutters or plywood.
- Store drinking water in clean bathtubs, jugs and bottles. Water in tubs may also be needed for flushing.
- Turn freezers and refrigerator to coldest settings. Then open only when necessary and close quickly.
- Close damper to the fireplace.
- Store valuable papers in a safe place or in a container to take with you in the event of evacuation.
When Evacuation is Ordered
- Inform a family member of your plans.
- Turn off the water at the main valve at the street and electricity at the main switch or fuse.
- Take warm protective clothing, sleeping bags, blankets and your disaster supplies kit.
- Lock up your house.
- Take your re-entry permit, valuable papers and prescriptions and leave immediately.
After the Storm
Re-entry: Please stay tuned to the local TV station and check the Town web site for information concerning re-entry. Residents and property owners are instructed NOT to call Town Hall or the Police Department. They do not have the time or staff to answer your questions. It is unlawful to call 911 unless reporting an emergency.
Be careful! Emergency services (fire, police and medical emergency) may not be available or severely restricted.
Tools and Equipment Checklist
- Screw driver
- Adjustable wrench
- Pry bar
- Utility knife
- Battery operated radio
- Can opener (don’t forget the corkscrew)
- Duct tape
- First aid kit
- Insect repellant
- Paper / plastic products (plates, bowls, towels, garbage bags, eating utensils
- Camp stove & lantern (Mantels)
Download our SUGGESTED CHECKLIST FOR HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS.
Medically Fragile Registration
Emerald Isle EMS provides for special medical care and/or help evacuating during disasters. The form below should be completed well in advance of impending disasters. For questions and assistance completing the form, contact Emerald Isle EMS at 252-354-2249.
Please note, this service was previously handled through Carteret County Emergency Services. If you previously signed up through the County, you will need to sign up with Emerald Isle EMS.