According to the September 8 forecast, Emerald Isle does not anticipate any significant impacts from Hurricane Irma. (There is, however, currently a high rip current risk, and the Town has posted RED FLAGS to advise swimmers to stay out of the ocean.) Irma is currently forecast to make a direct hit on Florida on Sunday and Monday, and then move inland over Georgia, the western Carolinas, and Tennessee on Monday and Tuesday.
Although a change in this forecast track is not expected, the Town encourages everyone to continue to monitor Irma's path in case of a shift in the track closer to Emerald Isle. If such a shift occurs, the Town will post appropriate guidance on our various digital platforms:
- the Town's website ( https://www.emeraldisle-nc.org/ ),
- the Town's email newsletter ( sign up at https://www.emeraldisle-nc.org/email-text-notifications ),
- the Town's text message alert system ( sign up at https://www.emeraldisle-nc.org/email-text-notifications ),
- the Town's Facebook page (Town of Emerald Isle, NC),
- the Town's Twitter account (@townemeraldisle), and
- on the Emerald Isle APP, including Push notifications (search for "emerald isle nc" on Google Play and the APP Store).
Donate Supplies for Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma Victims Now Through Friday, September 15 @ Town Board Meeting Room; 7500 Emerald Drive
The Town has partnered with two different groups to collect supplies for victims of both Hurricane Harvey ( partner is Encounter 61, an Emerald Isle-based church - https://www.encounter61.com/ ) and Hurricane Irma (partner is the Swansboro Rotary Club, a respected local service organization - http://swansbororotary.com/ ). If you are so inclined, please consider a donation of the following items:
- bottled water,
- non-perishable food,
- baby formula,
- pet supplies,
- rubber gloves,
- mops, and
These items can be dropped off daily between 8 am and 9 pm at the Town Board Meeting Room, adjacent to the Emerald Isle Police Station at 7500 Emerald Drive. Items will be collected now through 9 pm on Friday, September 15, and Encounter 61 and the Swansboro Rotary Club will arrange delivery to hurricane victims.
Please enter through the main entrance, and simply drop off donated items in the designated area in the Town Board Meeting Room, and our partners will handle the rest.
If you would prefer to make a cash donation, please visit the American Red Cross website at http://www.redcross.org/ .