I hope everyone had a great New Year wherever you were. Be sure to mark your calendars for the St. Patrick’s Festival March 16 at Emerald Plantation Shopping Center. Transportation Impact is the sponsor and the Transportation Impact NASCAR race car will be there in addition to all the great music, beer garden, craft vendors, food vendors, and kids’ area that we always have. Check out www.emeraldislestpatricksfestival.com for complete details.
This was the second year of the Crystal Coast Countdown New Years celebration and everything went well even with a little rain. The Crystal Coast Countdown covered 5 days (Dec 28 – Jan 1) with events in Atlantic Beach, Beaufort, Emerald Isle, Morehead, and Newport to provide residents and visitors with entertainment opportunities ending with the Penguin Plunge on January 1st. Make sure you check it out next year. With a total of 22 activities, there is something for everyone. Diane and I attended 3 events and had a blast at all three, Scavenger Hunt in Emerald Isle, Beach Bonfire in Atlantic Beach, and Selah Dubb Concert in Emerald Isle. See if you can identify the landmarks we had to find in the Scavenger Hunt. Answers are at the end, so don’t look ahead.
- Fresh and crisp, tall and green...I add a touch of nature to our town’s merriment. Find me and collect your “topper.”
- There’s a great big clock for town folk that’s always in plain sight. If you want to know what time it is, better look somewhere else -’cause this one’s never right! (Take a picture of this item).
- Pretend you landed the “Catch” of the day and have your picture taken here.
- Saying the name of this restaurant creates a northern accent. Snap a pic of your team captain in front of their sign.
- “To Protect and Serve” is what we do. Get one of us to take a picture with you.
- Go to where the sun meets the surf to discuss the “market.” Take a picture to show you were there.
- Record an out of town visitor singing the first line to “Auld Lang Syne.
- Though it may not be official, it’s special just the same. There’s a surfboard and some seashells and displays a hero’s name. (Take a picture of this item).
- Have your team captain dressed as Father Time or baby New Year by check in.
- Go to the place that “serves as a reminder of the sacrifices made to preserve the freedoms that we all enjoy” and take a picture of the red, white and blue.
- Looking at me might make you feel small and see green. Photograph me with a team mate for all to be seen.
Answers: 1) Christmas tree at Merchants Park; 2) Tide Clock at Town Hall; 3) Bogue Pier; 4) Chowdaheads; 5) Policeman; 6) SunSurf Realty; 7) took a little coaxing, but we got a visitor to sing; 8) Memorial for Jeremy Crandall that was placed at the walk-over at the western ocean region access by his family; 9) mostly babies with makeshift diapers but Diane was “Father Time”; 10) Veterans Memorial at Wildlife Resources Boat Ramp; 11) Big chair at Bluewater Realty.
Tuesday, January 1, 2013 4:04:00 PM