January 9, 2018
MEMO TO: Mayor Barber and Board of Commissioners
FROM: Frank A. Rush, Jr., Town Manager
SUBJECT: Appointments – Golf Cart Advisory Committee - (Summary & Suggested Motions)
The Board of Commissioners is scheduled to appoint 7 individuals to the newly created Golf Cart Advisory Committee at the January 9 meeting.
The Board established this committee at its November 2017 meeting and directed Town staff to solicit applicants to serve on the new committee. The Town solicited applications via the Town’s website, in the Town’s email newsletter, and in the Island Review magazine in December, and received strong interest. Following initial, brief emails indicating the individual’s interest, a brief follow-up questionnaire was emailed to all individuals who expressed interest in serving. A total of 12 individuals returned the email questionnaire, and these submissions have been provided to the Board under separate cover.
Based on previous discussions, I envision that the new committee will be tasked with the following activities:
- promote the safe use of golf carts by residents and visitors,
- serve as an advocate for golf cart owners and the golf cart program, and advise the Board on beneficial golf cart policies,
- identify strategies to expand golf cart access to geographically isolated areas of Emerald Isle,
- coordinate fundraising activities aimed at generating 50% of the construction cost for future golf cart paths to expand golf cart access, and
- any other associated activities.
Because the new committee is likely to have a continuing role with the Town in the future, in a similar manner as the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee, I would envision all appointees serving a 2-year term. In order to provide staggered terms, 4 members should initially be appointed to a 2-year term and 3 members should initially be appointed to a 1-year term, with all serving subsequent 2-year terms. Once appointed, the committee members can determine the most appropriate meeting schedule, elect a chairperson, and develop by-laws. I would anticipate that the initial meeting of the new committee would not occur until February or March due to other commitments in January and February. I envision Police Chief Tony Reese and myself providing staff support to the new Golf Cart Advisory Committee, and we look forward to working with the group.
The Board has wide latitude to determine the specific appointment method used for this committee. I believe there are three options available to the Board to make appointments to the committee:
- The Board could utilize the attached ballot, with 12 individuals listed, and each Commissioner would “vote” for 7 individuals. The Mayor and Town Clerk would review the written ballots, and determine the 7 individuals who received the most “votes”. If there is a tie for the 7th appointment, a Commissioner would simply make a motion to appoint _________________ to the 7th appointment. The 4 individuals with the most “votes” would serve initial 2-year terms, while the other 3 would initially serve a 1-year term.
- Each elected official, including the Mayor, could simply appoint one individual to the new committee, with either the Mayor or Mayor Pro-Tem having a second appointment to result in a total of 7 committee members. The Board would then need to decide which 4 individuals serve a 2-year term, and which 3 individuals will initially serve a 1-year term.
- The Board could simply make individual nominations at the January 9 meeting, and appoint the committee members one at a time. The Board would need to decide which 4 individuals serve a 2-year term, and which 3 individuals will initially serve a 1-year term.
I look forward to the Board’s appointment of the committee, and look forward to working with the group to continue enhancements to the Town’s golf cart program.