Town of Emerald Isle
Regular Planning Board Meeting
Monday, October 28, 2002
7:00 P.M. Town Hall
Call to Order
- Approval of Minutes of Regular Meeting of September 23, 2002
- Introduction and welcome of new member, Brad Fischer
- Report from Town Manager – Frank A. Rush
- Report from Inspections Department – Carol Angus
- Term of newly elected chairman/when Chair can vote
(Clarified that the Chairman and Vice-Chairman will serve a one year term from the date they are appointed, and recommended an ordinance amendment to this effect.)
- Appointment of Parliamentarian.
COMMENTS WILL BE PERMITTED PRIOR TO EACH AGENDA ITEM
- Discussion and possible recommendation regarding the amendment of Section 19-101/102/103/and 106 of the Zoning Ordinance regarding building heights, and additions to definitions Section 19-62. – Art Daniel
(Recommended approval of a slightly revised version of the building height/stories ordinance that was approved by the Board of Commissioners by a 3-2 vote on October 8. The revised version clarifies that an attic story will only be permitted for single family and duplexes. All other structures are subject to a 3 story limit. This revised ordinance will be included on the November 12 agenda, along with the version approved on October 8.)
- Discussion and possible recommendation regarding revision of Dunes & Vegetation Ordinance, Section 19-331 through 19-450 – Ed Dowling
(Tabled consideration of the latest version of the Dunes and Vegetation Ordinance so that the Planning Board Subcommittee (Patteson, Erwin, Dowling) can more fully explore the alternative approach that was put forth a couple of weeks ago. The Planning Board recommended proceeding with the November 4 evening public hearing in order to receive feedback from the public, and directed staff to present the potential revisions to the audience in a summary form indicating potential changes (rather than citing specific text in the latest draft). The Planning Board Subcommittee will meet again after the November 4 meeting)
- Review of Large Retail Store and Shopping Center Standards – Michael Harvey, Benchmark, Inc.
(Received an overview of 3 alternatives for improving the 8,000 sf special use permit ordinance from Michael Harvey. The Planning Board directed Mr. Harvey to further develop 2 of the 3 alternatives for more discussion at the November Planning Board meeting. We will distribute Mike's work to the Planning Board by November 12 so they have additional time to consider this prior to the November 25 Planning Board meeting.)
- Naming ad hoc committee to provide recommendation on amending Sec. 19-74.1 Specifications for construction of outside wall facings of commercial structures.
(Appointed an ad-hoc subcommittee consisting of Fisher, Patteson, and Erwin to review Section 19.74.1 (building facades, etc.) and make recommendations to clarify the ordinance)
- Naming of ad hoc committee to prepare proposed amendment to Section 18, Subdivision Ordinance, that would require recording of final plats within 60 days after approval
(Appointed Erwin to work with Carol Angus to draft an ordinance requiring final plats to be recorded at the Register of Deeds office within a specified time frame after final Board approval. To be presented to the full Planning Board at a future meeting)
- Naming of ad hoc committee to draft an update of the Planning Board Policies and Procedures.
(Appointed Erikson to draft an update of the Planning Board policies and procedures for consideration by the full Planning Board)
- Comments by Members
(Clarified that meeting minutes will not be verbatim, but will reflect a summary of the pertinent issues discussed, and an official record of the motions, votes, etc.)