The Town's golf cart program continues to grow in popularity, and there are now more than 600 golf carts registered in the program. The Town is pleased with the program, as it provides an alternative form of convenient transportation, makes it easier to access the beach, and contributes to the Town's overall image as a high quality resort community.
It is important, however, for golf cart operators to follow the rules for this program, which are aimed at promoting the safety of other motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists, and the individuals in the golf cart. The most commonly violated regulations are:
- Golf carts operated on Town streets must be registered with the Town and display a current Town license plate with the new Emerald Isle logo.
- Golf carts in the Town's program are not permitted to drive on NC 58 or Coast Guard Road. Crossing directly from one side to the other is permitted. (Note that a golf cart with a standard NC license plate is treated like a typical motor vehicle, and is permitted on NC 58 and Coast Guard Road.)
- Golf carts are NOT permitted on the bicycle path or sidewalks.
- The minimum age to operate a golf cart in Emerald Isle is 18.
- All driving while impaired laws also apply to golf carts, and open containers are not permitted in golf carts.
For a complete explanation of golf cart regulations, please visit:
http://www.emeraldisle-nc.org/golf-card-registration-program . The Emerald Isle Police Department actively enforces these requirements, and violators are subject to revocation of the golf cart registration. Thank you for your cooperation!
Thursday, June 30, 2016 4:27:00 PM