Title VI Nondiscrimination Policy Statement
It is the policy of the Town of Emerald Isle to ensure that no person shall, on the ground of race, color, national origin, limited English Proficiency, income-level, sex, sexual orientation, age, or disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any Town of Emerald Isle program or activity, including, where applicable, religion, as provided by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other pertinent nondiscrimination authorities.
The following practices are hereby prohibited throughout the Town of Emerald Isle to comply, at a minimum, with Title VI and related requirements:
- Denying to an individual any standard service, financial aid, or other program benefit without good cause;
- Providing any service, financial aid, or other benefit to a person which is distinct in quantity or quality, or is provided in a different manner, from that provided to others under the program;
- Subjecting a person to segregation or separate treatment in any part of a program;
- Restrictions in the enjoyment of any advantages, privileges, or other benefits enjoyed by others;
- Methods of administration which, directly or through contractual relationships, would defeat or substantially impair the accomplishment of effective nondiscrimination;
- Different standards, criteria, or other requirements for admission, enrollment, or participation in planning, advisory, contractual or other integral activities;
- Acts of intimidation or retaliation, including threatening, coercing, or discrimination against any individual for the purpose of interfering with any right or privilege secured by any pertinent nondiscrimination law, or because s/he has made a complaint, testified, assisted, or participated in any manner in an investigation, proceeding, or hearing;
- Discrimination in any employment resulting from a program, a primary objective of which is to provide employment.
Policy Adopted By Resolution 08/11/2020